How to Change Your SMTP Port to Allow Sending Email
If you can't send email and you're using a commercial ISP (Comcast, ATT, Sprint, Verizon), they may be blocking SMTP port 25. This port is standard for sending email. But it's also standard for sending spam, so ISPs often block it.
In order to send email again, you'll have to change to a different port number. PlanetMagpie recommends our clients use either Port 2525 or Port 587.
Here's how to change the port number in your favorite email client. Instructions below are for Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mac Mail and Eudora.
(NOTE: This how-to assumes you're using POP/SMTP for email. It does not apply if you're using Microsoft Exchange for email.)
- Open Tools > Account Settings.
- Select your PlanetMagpie Email account from the list. Click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- Check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box.
- Make sure that "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Change the Outgoing Server field number from 25 to 2525. (If this doesn't work, repeat these steps and change the number to 587.)
- Select "SSL" from the "Use the following type of encrypted connection" pull-down menu.
- Click OK.
- Click Next until you reach the Finish button. Click Finish.
In Outlook Express
- Open Tools > Accounts.
- Click the Mail tab.
- Select your email account from the list (should be "firstname.lastname@example.org"). Click the Properties button.
- Make sure the "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing" box is checked.
- Click the Servers tab. Locate the Settings button below Outgoing Mail Server. Click it.
- Locate the SMTP Port field (it should say 25). Change the 25 to either 2525 or 587.
- Make sure the "My SMTP server requires authentication" box is checked.
- Click OK. Click OK again until you've closed all windows.
- Restart Outlook Express.
- Go to Tools > Account Settings.
- Select Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the left pane of the Account Settings window.
- Select the SMTP server for your domain here. Click Edit.
- Change the number in the Port field to 2525 (if this doesn't work, follow the same steps and change the number to 587).
- Click OK.
- Click OK again to close the Account Settings window.
- Open Preferences in the Mail menu.
- Click the Accounts tab to locate your account. Open it.
- Open the Outgoing Mail Server window.
- Change the number in the Port field to 587.
- Set the Encryption Method to TLS.
- Check the "Use Authentication" box.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue again. Close any remaining windows.
If you still have trouble after trying this, please call PlanetMagpie Support at 510-344-1203.